In & Around
- The renowned Onrus beach is situated a mere 2Km from us, while the internationally acclaimed blueflag Grotto Beach is situated nearly 15Km from us. A Variety of tidal pools also occur from place to place along the coast amongst which Davies, Vermont Fick and the Marine Hotel pools.
- Fernkloof Nature Reserve can be found in the same vicinity and offers an exceptional wildflower garden, safe picnic facilities and a variety of hiking trails to explore. More than 1400 species of fynbos grow in this reserve of which quite a few are available at the Fernkloof Nursery at reasonable prices.
- One of the annual highlights for the Onrus/Vermont residents is the return of the migrating flamingos to the Vermont Salt Pan. Bird watchers and visitors who might miss this event, will never the less find enough movement around this interesting mass of water during the rest of the year.
- Hermanus is very proud of its 10Km long coastal cliff path. This wheelchair friendly concrete path stretches all along the shoreline and offers excellent views over the whole or Walker Bay. Somewhere along this path you are likely to find the world’s only whalecrier. Different signals given on his bamboo ‘vuvuzela’ indicates where whales can be found in the bay.
- The most exceptional view over Hermanus and Walker Bay can be enjoyed from the top of the Rotary Way. Another viewpoint worthy of mentioning is that from Hoy’s Koppie.
- Feel free to visit one of our well known Museums for a walk in the past. You can choose between the Whale House, De Wet House photo collection, or the Old Harbor Museums.